- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 squares focaccia bread, 5x5 inches, or puffy pizza crust baked without toppings
- 1-1/2 cups (lightly packed) baby lettuces or arugula
- 1 cup roasted red bell pepper pieces
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced about 1/4-inch thick (may substitute regular mozzarella, provolone or mild Swiss)
- 16 cooked asparagus spears
- 4 slices pancetta or thick bacon cooked almost crisp and broken into 3-inch pieces
Have ingredients at room temperature. Make Lemon Aioli (flavored mayonnaise) by whisking together the lemon zest, juice and garlic, which has been slightly mashed with the salt (use a sharp knife tip on a cutting board). Whisk in the mayonnaise and olive oil. Spread on smooth side of each square of focaccia, using a generous 1/2 tablespoon.
Divide remaining ingredients among 4 squares focaccia, layered in the order listed. Top with remaining 4 squares focaccia. Cut each sandwich in half into two triangles.
Sandwiches can be served at room temperature or warm in a 450-degree oven a few minutes, especially if regular mozzarella was substituted for fresh. Sandwiches are not meant to be served hot.