- 4 or 5 boneless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Southwest seasoning (chili powder, Mexican oregano, garlic powder, ground chipotles (smoked jalepenos), paprika, ground cumin and ground coriander)
- Olive oil, to coat
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 pound multi-colored farfalle pasta
- 12 ounces triple cream brie cheese
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups hand-chopped ripe Roma tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons hand-chopped Italian parsley or cilantro
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
Pound the chicken breasts to even thickness with a meat mallet to cook evenly. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Sprinkle southwest seasoning on both sides of chicken. Lightly coat with olive oil. Grill chicken over coals with mesquite or hickory chips added. (In metal tray if using a gas grill). Rotate chicken a quarter turn after a few minutes to add grill marks. Turn chicken over after about 5 to 7 minutes and grill the other side the same way. When chicken is done (moist and tender) take off the grill and let rest.
Bring a large pot of slightly salted water to a boil for the pasta. Add pasta and cook until it is al dente. Keep cooked pasta covered and warm in a slight bit of its water. In a small, ungreased frying pan, toast pine nuts until they are golden brown. Key - Do NOT burn the pine nuts or the entire dish will taste bitter. Cut the outer covering (rind) off the brie. Throw away the rind and set the cheese aside. Heat a large frying pan to medium-high heat and add all of the olive oil. After 30 seconds or so add the tomato, garlic, parsley/cilantro and basil. Let this saute for about 1 minute. Key - have all of the ingredients ready and next to the stove because this sauce works fast! Add the brie and toasted pine nuts. Toss or slowly stir over low heat for two minutes or until the cheese is completely incorporated into the sauce. You should have a medium thick sauce with a beautifully rich pink color with splashes of green. Drain the remaining water off the pasta in a colander. Place a nice portion of pasta on a decorative plate. Chop the chicken breasts on a bias and place on top of the pasta. Ladle a fair amount of the brie sauce over the chicken and pasta.