Canteen Clam Chowder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon bits
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 4 to 5 bay leaves
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup clam stock
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, diced, cooked
- 2 pounds chopped clams
Heat a large stockpot over low heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the chopped garlic and let brown. Add the bacon. Let cook for a few minutes and then stir in the pepper, basil, oregano, and bay leaves. Add the onions, celery, sherry, and stock, stirring frequently, 30 to 40 minutes. After the onions and celery are half cooked, turn the heat to medium-low and simmer.
Confirm the onions, celery, and potatoes are cooked to desired tenderness, and then add the cooked potatoes, chopped clams and cream. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.