- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2 to 3 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, plus 2 cloves, whole
- 4 ounces dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup mizithra
- Serving suggestion: Cooked rice or cooked orzo.
Heat oil in a large skillet on high heat. Sprinkle chicken with cinnamon, salt, and pepper, brown on all sides, and set aside.
Turn the heat to medium-high, add the onions and minced garlic, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Add the wine to remove the particles from the bottom of pan and reduce until almost dry. Add water, tomato paste, and whole garlic cloves. Add chicken, cover, and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through. Add water as needed.
Served best over rice or orzo. Top with mizithra.