- 4 small sweet potatoes (or 2 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup grade B maple syrup, divided
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 4 large shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl add the sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix to evenly coat the potatoes and arrange on a sheet tray. Roast until caramelized, golden brown and soft, about 20 to 30 minutes. Be sure to check them after 15 minutes and stir, if needed.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-low heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the sliced shallots and saute until they start to caramelize, about 5 minutes Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Lower heat to medium and cook until golden brown and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the pan becomes dry.
Add the roasted sweet potato cubes to the caramelized shallots and transfer to a warm serving dish.