- Vegetable oil, for frying (about 6 cups)
- 1 8.5-ounce box corn muffin mix
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Chocolate sauce or dulce de leche, warmed, for dipping
Heat 3 inches of oil in a large, deep skillet until a deep-fry thermometer registers 340 degrees. Combine the muffin mix, flour, sugar, baking powder and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in the eggs, orange zest and buttermilk and whisk until combined.
Transfer half the batter to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip (No. 844) and pipe 4-inch-long churros into the oil, about 4 at a time. (If you don't have a pastry bag, you can spoon the batter into the oil in lines.) Fry until golden, about 15 seconds per side, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Combine the remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon with sugar to taste and sprinkle over the churros. Serve warm with the chocolate sauce.
Photograph by Ellie Miller