Crawfish Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread topped with Crawfish Etouffee
Recipe courtesy Crazy 'bout Crawfish, 2011
- 4 (8 1/2-ounce) boxes cornbread mix (recommended: Jiffy)
- 4 (12-ounce) cans condensed milk (recommended: Carnation)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups shredded American cheese
- 3 pounds cleaned Louisiana crawfish tails
- 1/2 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- Crawfish Etouffee:
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 onions, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 pound cleaned crawfish tails
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Large container crawfish fat
- Salt and pepper
For the cornbread: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Grease enough cupcake pans to make 60 cornbreads.
In a large bowl, mix the cornbread mix, milk and eggs. While stirring, slowly add the jalapeno peppers, sugar, cheese, crawfish and corn. Add the Creole seasoning and pour into the prepared cupcake pans (makes about 60 cupcakes). Cook until done, 50 to 55 minutes.
For the etouffee: In a stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter is bubbling, add the flour to make a roux, stirring constantly to prevent or remove any lumps. Cook the roux for 5 minutes; do not brown. Stir in the onions and bell peppers and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 3 minutes. Stir in the crawfish tails. Slowly pour in enough water to reach a little thicker than soup-like consistency. Season with the cumin, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Serve 2 muffins per person with sauce ladled over the top.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.