- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 pound small white shrimp (30/40), peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces Creole hot sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces beef stew meat, cubed
- 8 ounces smoked ham, cubed
- 6 chicken wings, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon file powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 dozen oysters, with their liquid
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
Put the shrimp, sausages, stew meat and ham in a 5-quart pot over medium heat. Pour the onion mixture over the ingredients and add 3 quarts water, the chicken wings, file powder, paprika and salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes or until broth reaches desired thickness.
Add the oysters, parsley, garlic and thyme. Lower the heat and cook until the shrimp is pink, about 10 minutes more, before serving.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.