Chicken With Mango Barbeque Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 mango, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 to 3 jalapenos, minced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3/4 pound each)
Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the red peppers, garlic, salt and pepper, and allspice and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in the vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice and tomato sauce and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer the mixture into a bender and add the mango and jalapeno. Blend until smooth.
Put 1 cup of the barbeque sauce into a sealable plastic bag with the chicken and marinate for 1 hour.
Preheat the broiler. Put the chicken on a broiler pan and discard the marinade. Broil the chicken on high for about 12 minutes, turning once. Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Spoon about 1/2 cup of barbeque sauce over the meat slices and serve.
2006 Ellie Krieger, All Rights Reserved