- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole grain pastry flour*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13inch baking pan with cooking spray.
Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or heatproof bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
In a large bowl whisk the eggs and sugar until smooth. Add the yogurt, oil and vanilla and whisk to combine. Add the chocolate-butter mixture and whisk until blended. Add the flour mixture and mix until just moistened.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and sprinkle with nuts if using. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into 24 squares.
Serving size: 1 square
* whole grain pastry flour (also called whole wheat pastry flour) is found in many major supermarkets and in most health food stores. If you cannot find it you may substitute 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup all purpose flour in this recipe.
Per Serving without walnuts:
Calories 150; Total Fat 8 g; (Sat Fat 3 g, Mono Fat 2 g, Poly Fat .8 g) ; Protein 3 g; Carb 18 g; Fiber 1 g; Cholesterol 40 mg; Sodium 55 mg
Per Serving with walnuts:
Calories 170; Total Fat 10 g; (Sat Fat 3 g, Mono Fat 2.3 g, Poly Fat 2.6 g) ; Protein 3 g; Carb 19 g; Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 40 mg; Sodium 55 mg