- Cooking spray
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole-grain pastry flour (or 1/2 cup each whole-wheat and all-purpose flours)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally; do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water.
Whisk the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and brown sugar until smooth, then add the yogurt, oil and vanilla and whisk to combine. Whisk in the melted chocolate mixture until blended. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.
Spread the batter in the prepared pan and sprinkle with walnuts, if desired. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely in the pan on a rack before slicing.
Per brownie (with nuts): Calories 160; Fat 9 g (Saturated 3 g);
Cholesterol 40 mg; Sodium 55 mg; Carbohydrate 17 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 3 g
Photograph by Kate Sears