- 1 (3-pound) chicken, cut into small pieces (about 12)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 6 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chopped andouille sausage
- 3 cups uncooked rice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 9 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 6 cups white chicken stock
- 3 small (1 to 1 1/4 pounds each) lobsters, lightly steamed, cut into serving pieces
- 36 scrubbed littleneck clams
- 36 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 18 medium shrimp in their shells (about 3/4 pound)
Sprinkle chicken pieces evenly with salt and 18 turns of pepper. Pat in seasoning with your hands. Heat oil in a large deep saucepan over high heat. Add chicken and sear until brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Add onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic, sausage and rice and stir-fry 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, Worcestershire, hot sauce, bay leaves, Creole seasoning and saffron and simmer 1 minute. Add stock, stir well and bring to a boil. Cover and cook 4 minutes.
Add lobster, tucking pieces into rice, cover and cook 4 minutes. Add clams, cover and cook 4 minutes. Add mussels and shrimp, cover and cook until rice is tender and shellfish are opened, about 3 minutes. Discard any mussels or clams that have not opened.
Remove bay leaves and serve in large shallow bowls. Place empty bowls on table for shells.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.