Spicy Thai Green Papaya Salad
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 3 Thai bird chiles or Serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons coconut-palm sugar or golden cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 medium-large green papayas, peeled, seeds removed, and shredded or julienned (2 to 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded or julienned
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus 1/3 cup leaves, for garnish
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peanuts, for garnish
In a blender combine the lime juice, fish sauce, shallot, chiles, sugar and garlic and blend until smooth. Set aside for 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
In a medium non-reactive mixing or salad bowl, combine the papayas, carrots, mint leaves and chopped cilantro. Add the dressing and toss to combine thoroughly. Garnish with the cilantro leaves and chopped peanuts. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2006