- 1 (10 3/4ounce) frozen pound cake
- 1/3 cup sweet Sherry
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 3 cups mixed berries (sliced strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
- 2 kiwi fruit, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- strawberries, for garnish
Cut pound cake in half lengthwise and trim halves to cover bottom of glass trifle dish, or a 9 inch straightsided glass bowl. Sprinkle cake with Sherry to soak, and spread cake with jam, heating jam if necessary to facilitate spreading. Place berries, kiwi and peaches on top of cake.
Heat the milk in top of double boiler over mediumlow heat until film forms on it. Beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla in a double boiler until it forms a ribbon. Then slowly pour the hot milk into the eggs, beating all the time. Place the mixture in a heavy saucepan and stir over low heat until the custard coats the back of a spoon, 10 to 15 minutes. Don't let it boil. Strain it through a fine sieve. Cool the custard in a bowl set in ice water, stirring occasionally. Pour cooled custard over the fruit. Refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours.