- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 small onion, roughly chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, about a handful
- Canola oil, for frying
- 4 pita breads
- Chopped tomato, for garnish
- Shredded Iceberg lettuce
- Tahini sauce or hummus
Combine all falafel ingredients except oil in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse mixture until coarsely ground. Transfer to a bowl or container and refrigerate, covered, for several hours.
Form the falafel mixture into balls about the size of walnuts and press to flatten.
Heat 4 inches of oil to 375 degrees F in a deep pot or deep fryer. Fry about 6 balls at once for about 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Stuff each pita with 4 falafel balls, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, and tahini.