- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cups butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 10 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed (recommended: Oreo)
Combine the sugar and meringue powder in a stainless steel bowl and whisk to combine. Mix egg whites and corn syrup. Combine the egg white mixture with the sugar mixture and whisk vigorously. Heat mixture over a hot water bath, stirring occasionally. The meringue is ready when the sugar is dissolved. Whip in a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment for 10 to 15 minutes. Slowly add the cool, room temperature butter and shortening. Add the vanilla seeds and then fold in the crushed cookies.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.