Antipasti Dinner Salad
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 8 slices rustic Italian bread
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 small head radicchio, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces deli-sliced hard salami or soppressata, cut into strips
- 10 to 15 fresh basil leaves, sliced if large
- 8 ounces small mozzarella balls (bocconcini), halved
- 20 cured black olives (such as kalamata or nicoise), pitted and halved
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, halved lengthwise
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Increase the heat to high; add the bread in batches and toast until golden on both sides. Set aside and season with salt.
Whisk the vinegar, the remaining 5 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add the radicchio, celery, salami, basil, mozzarella and olives; toss to coat.
Place 1 romaine half on each plate. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the salad onto each wedge, drizzling any remaining dressing on top; serve with the toasts.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.