- 1 1/2 pounds beef round, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 6 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons fine corn meal
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Fresh salsa, homemade or store-bought, for serving
- Lime wedges and cooked brown rice, for serving
Season the beef with salt and pepper. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat with 2 teaspoons vegetable oil; sear the beef in two batches, adding up to 2 teaspoons more vegetable oil, until browned on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the beef to a plate as it browns.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pot; add the onion, red pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the cocoa, chili powder, oregano, cumin and coriander; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the corn meal and tomato paste and cook until the tomato paste sticks to bottom and caramelizes, about 2 minutes. Stir in 6 cups water, scraping tomato paste from bottom of pan; bring to a simmer. Add the reserved beef and beans; partially cover the pot and adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer until the beef is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
3. Serve chili with fresh salsa, lime wedges, and brown rice, if desired.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Nutritional analysis per serving
Calories 186; Total Fat 4 g (Sat Fat 0.4g, Mono Fat 0.7g, Poly Fat 1.5g) ; Protein 18g; Carb 23g; Fiber 3g; Cholesterol 23mg; Sodium 421mg
This chili has all the flavor of a classic, but the fat and calories are much lower.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.