Boozy Cherry-Chocolate Pies
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Kosher salt
- 3 pounds Bing cherries, pitted and halved
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 1/2 14 -ounce packages refrigerated piecrust dough (3 pieces)
- Heavy cream, for brushing
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray. Place six 5-to-6-inch ceramic tart dishes on the prepared pan. Add 3/4 cup cherries to each dish using a slotted spoon; top each with 1 tablespoon butter and 2 teaspoons chocolate. Transfer the remaining cherry mixture to a saucepan; add 1/2 cup water and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Divide among the dishes; cool completely.
Dust a surface with flour. Using a paring knife, cut out 6 circles from the piecrust, 1/2 inch bigger than the tart dishes (use the dishes as a guide). Place on another baking sheet; chill until ready to bake.
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Top each dish with a piece of dough, pressing the edge against the dish to seal; pierce several times with a knife. Bake 45 minutes, then brush each pie with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Continue baking until golden, about 15 more minutes. Serve with ice cream.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.