Butternut Squash Burritos
- 3 cups precut peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound), diced
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 15 -ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen brown rice, thawed (or prepared brown rice)
- 8 large eggs
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- Fresh salsa, for serving (optional)
Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until soft, 5 minutes; stir in the chili powder. Add the beans, rice and 1/2 cup water and simmer, stirring, until the liquid evaporates, about10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
Wipe out the skillet. Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet over medium heat, then add the eggs and cook, stirring, until they start setting. Fold in the squash and cook until the eggs are set.
Warm the tortillas in a dry skillet or in the microwave. Divide the rice mixture, scrambled eggs, cheese and jalapenos among the tortillas. Fold up the bottoms, then fold in the sides and roll up. Serve with salsa.
Per serving: Calories 811; Fat 33 g (Saturated 16 g); Cholesterol 94 mg; Sodium 1,147 mg; Carbohydrate 94 g; Fiber 12 g; Protein 34 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine