Chicken and Black Bean Tostadas
- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for frying
- 4 corn tortillas, preferably white
- Kosher salt
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili paste or adobo sauce (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 cups finely shredded green or red cabbage
- 1 bunch radishes (about 6), julienned
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, skinned and shredded into large pieces
Heat 1/2 inch oil in a small heavy skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Fry tortillas one at a time until golden and crisp, 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
Cool the oil slightly and discard all but 2 tablespoons. Add the beans and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the broth and cook, smashing the beans, until saucy and hot. Season with salt and pepper.
Whisk the garlic, chili paste, 2 tablespoons lime juice, the sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup oil to make a dressing; add the cabbage, radishes and cilantro and toss. Mix the sour cream and the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice in another bowl; season with salt and pepper.
Top each tortilla with beans, chicken, cabbage salad and sour cream.
Photograph by Antonis Achiellos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.