Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 15 -ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Basmati rice, for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk the garlic, ginger, chile pepper, paprika, coriander, tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a 4-to-6-quart slow cooker. Add the chicken and stir to coat.
Cover and cook on high, 4 hours, adding the heavy cream and frozen peas during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Serve over rice; top with cilantro.
Photograph by Christopher Testani