Chinese Chicken and Rice Soup
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 large tomatoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (white, brown or wild)
Whisk the eggs with a pinch each of salt and pepper in a small bowl. Heat the peanut oil in a wok or large saucepan over high heat. Add the eggs and cook, undisturbed, until bubbles form on the surface and the bottom is set, about 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring gently to break up the eggs, until the tomatoes begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth, 3 cups water, the scallions, sesame oil, soy sauce and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Partially cover and simmer 5 minutes.
Stir in the chicken, spinach and rice and warm through. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
Per serving: Calories 417; Fat 22 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 297 mg; Sodium 1,282 mg; Carbohydrate 27 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 29 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.