- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups crumbled cornbread
- 2 15 -ounce cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese
Toss the tomatoes, bell pepper, cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Whisk the sour cream, mayonnaise, scallions, lime juice, chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
Assemble the salad: Sprinkle half of the cornbread in a glass bowl or trifle dish. Top with half each of the black-eyed peas, corn and the tomato-pepper mixture, then half each of the sour cream mixture and cheese. Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients, ending with cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.