Crispy Tofu With Vegetables
- 1 14 -ounce block firm tofu, sliced lengthwise into 4 rectangles
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 scallions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 1 2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 8 -ounce package sliced mixed mushrooms
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 3/4 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 3 cups frozen brown rice (or prepared brown rice)
Line a large plate with several layers of paper towels. Arrange the tofu slices on top in a single layer, then cover with more paper towels and set another plate on top; let drain 5 minutes.
Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the tofu and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the scallion whites and ginger and cook 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and carrots and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the snap peas and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, 4 more minutes. Whisk the lemon zest mixture, add it to the pan and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in the scallion greens. Meanwhile, prepare the rice as the label directs. Serve with the tofu and vegetables.
Per serving: Calories 429; Fat 15 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 188 mg; Carbohydrate 56 g; Fiber 8 g; Protein 19 g
Photograph by Johnny Miller
Thank you! your flag was submitted.