Crustless Caprese Quiche
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens
The classic Caprese salad -- a composed arrangement of fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil -- is as pretty as it is delicious (especially[ when tomatoes are at their peak). This creamy quiche brings all that to the table and more, for shockingly few calories.]
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat or other whole grain breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Kosher salt
- 4 plum tomatoes (2 chopped and 2 thinly sliced crosswise)
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup 2-percent milk
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, plus 1 sprig for garnish
- 4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella
- Copyright 2012 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cover the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften without color, about 15 minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
Meanwhile, add the eggs, egg whites, ricotta, milk, the remaining 1/3 cup breadcrumbs and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a blender until well combined and smooth. Stir in the sliced basil and the onion-tomato mixture.
Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pie pan. Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Arrange the sliced tomatoes in an overlapping style around the top.
Bake until the eggs are set and the cheese is lightly browned, about 35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes to complete the cooking process. Garnish with the fresh basil sprig. Slice into 4 wedges with a sharp knife and serve.