Egg and Hash Brown Tacos
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash browns (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 -ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 8 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 8 6 -inch flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the hash browns and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and salsa, reduce the heat to low and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Pour into the skillet with the hash browns and cook, stirring, until the eggs are almost set, about 2 minutes. Stir in half of the cheese and cook until the eggs are just set, about 1 more minute. Divide among the tortillas and top with the bean salsa, avocado, cilantro and remaining cheese.
Per serving: Calories 635; Fat 31 g (Saturated 10 g); Cholesterol 455 mg; Sodium 981 mg; Carbohydrate 65 g; Fiber 10 g; Protein 27 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.