Escarole Salad With Anchovy Dressing
- For the Salad:
- 4 large eggs
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- 3 slices bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large head escarole
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- For the Dressing:
- 11/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 11/2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 11/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 5 anchovy fillets, chopped into a paste
Prepare the salad: Put the eggs in a saucepan; cover with cold water by 2 inches. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook 8 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water with a slotted spoon, then drain, peel and roughly chop.
Heat 1/4 inch olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bread cubes and fry, turning with a slotted spoon, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer the croutons to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Discard the outer layer of leaves from the escarole. Separate the remaining leaves and coarsely chop. Toss with the croutons in a large bowl.
Make the dressing: Put the lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, garlic and anchovies in a small covered container; shake well. Toss with the salad. Divide among plates, top with the hard-boiled eggs and season with salt and pepper.
Photograph by Lisa Shin
Thank you! your flag was submitted.