Fried Shrimp With Tartar Slaw
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 8 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 24 extra-large shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 sleeves saltines (about 60 crackers)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 4 large eggs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Make the slaw: Mix the mayonnaise, relish and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the coleslaw mix and scallions; season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Meanwhile, place the saltines in a large resealable plastic bag and finely crush with a rolling pin; transfer to a bowl. Mix the flour and Old Bay Seasoning in another bowl. Lightly beat the eggs in a third bowl. Dredge the shrimp in the seasoned flour, dip in the eggs and press into the crushed crackers, splaying each one open to coat inside the incision. Transfer to a plate, cover and refrigerate until ready to fry.
Heat 3/4 inch vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Fry the shrimp in batches, turning once, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. Serve with lemon wedges and the slaw.
Per serving: Calories 828; Fat 44 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 508 mg; Sodium 1,122 mg; Carbohydrate 59 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 48 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.