Glazed Chicken with Dried Fruit and Parsnips
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 medium shallots
- 4 medium-large parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 medium skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add the shallots and parsnips and cook until golden, shaking the pan, 2 minutes.
Scatter the dried fruit in the skillet. Place the chicken, skin-side up, on top. Add 1/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until heated through, 6 minutes. Uncover and transfer the skillet to the oven. Cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
Push the chicken to the side of the skillet, then stir the vinegar into the pan juices (add up to 2 tablespoons water if the sauce is too thick). Serve from the skillet.
Per serving: Calories 757; Fat 36 g (Saturated 9 g); Cholesterol 158 mg; Sodium 464 mg; Carbohydrate 71 g; Fiber 6 g; Protein 38 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.