Ham and Vegetable Gratin
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 pound), diced
- 1 10 -ounce package frozen mixed peas and carrots
- 1/4 pound low-sodium ham, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup low-fat (2 percent) milk
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, potatoes and frozen peas and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the ham, flour and thyme and cook, stirring, until combined. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil, then stir in the milk and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the panko, parsley and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the panko is slightly toasted, about 4 minutes. Scatter over the ham and vegetable mixture; let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.