Ham, Egg and Cheese Oatmeal
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Sure, oatmeal's great with cinnamon and sugar. For a twist, try this savory take: oatmeal paired with the classic combo of ham, eggs and[ cheese.]
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 4 ounces lean Black Forest ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 ounces shredded Gruyere (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives (about 1/3 small bunch); plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large eggs
Bring 4 1/4 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in the oats, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the oats are soft and the oatmeal is slightly thickened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the ham, Gruyere and chives and remove the saucepan from the heat.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully crack the eggs into the pan and cook until the whites are set and slightly crispy and the yolk is still runny, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Transfer the oatmeal to individual bowls. Top each with an egg, sprinkle with additional fresh chives and serve.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchen