Homemade Frozen Chicken Fingers
- Chicken Fingers:
- 2 cups corn flake cereal
- 2 ounces whole wheat melba toast
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Kosher salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- Red Pepper-Basil Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup 2-percent Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- Kosher salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Copyright 2012 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
DirectionsFor the chicken fingers:
Combine the cereal, melba toast, Parmesan, parsley if using, paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large re-sealable bag and, using the bottom of a skillet or rolling pin, crush into a coarse meal. Dump out into a shallow dish. Whisk the egg whites with 2 tablespoons water in another shallow dish.
Dip the chicken tenders into the egg white, shake off the excess, and coat thoroughly in the coating. Bake immediately, or refrigerate up to 1 hour before baking. To freeze, arrange the breaded chicken tenders on a baking sheet and freeze until hard, 1 to 2 hours. Store in re-sealable freezer bags for up to 1 month.
For the sauce:
Combine the yogurt, basil, red pepper, 1 tablespoon water, vinegar, garlic and salt to taste. Wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Fit a rimmed baking sheet with a baking rack and spray with cooking spray. Generously spray the fresh or frozen chicken tenders all over with cooking spray. Arrange on the baking rack and bake, flipping halfway through, until golden and crispy and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes (if frozen, 20 to 25 minutes). Remove from the oven and season with salt. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens