Italian Steak Sandwiches
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds minute steak
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups giardiniera (pickled vegetables), plus 3 tablespoons brine from the jar
- 4 ciabatta rolls, split open
- 4 ounces sharp provolone, thinly sliced
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until soft, about 3 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
Lightly pound the steak between 2 sheets of plastic wrap until about 1/8 inch thick. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat in batches and cook until browned, about 30 seconds per side; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the meat to the bowl with the onion and garlic. Add the parsley and giardiniera brine and toss to coat.
Drizzle the cut sides of the rolls with olive oil. Pile the steak and onion mixture on the roll bottoms and top with the giardiniera and provolone. Cover with the roll tops. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 891; Fat 66 g (Saturated 24 g); Cholesterol 137 mg; Sodium 699 mg; Carbohydrate 35 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 38 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.