Linguine with Red Clam Sauce
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces linguine
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 28 -ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 1/4 pounds littleneck clams (about 16), scrubbed
- 12 ounces chopped clams (drained if canned)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs; drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, anchovies, red pepper flakes, oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is lightly golden, about 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the whole clams; cover and cook until they just begin to open, about 3 minutes. Add the chopped clams and parsley; continue cooking, covered, until the whole clams are fully opened, about 3 more minutes (discard any that do not open). Add the pasta and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil; toss to combine. Season with salt.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse