Linguine with Tuna Puttanesca
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces linguine
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped kalamata olives
- 1 28 -ounce can San Marzano plum tomatoes
- 4 basil leaves, torn, plus more for garnish
- 1 5 -ounce can albacore tuna, packed in olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and cook until al dente.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until slightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the capers and olives and fry 2 more minutes. Crush the tomatoes into the skillet with your hands and reserve the juices. Cook until the tomatoes are slightly dry, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved tomato juices, the basil, and salt to taste and cook until the sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tuna with its oil, breaking it up with a fork, and season with salt.
Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water, and return it to the pot. Add the sauce and the reserved cooking water and toss. Season with pepper and garnish with more basil.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos