Mushroom and Spinach Korma
- 1 1/4 cups basmati rice
- 1 medium red onion (1/2 roughly chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced)
- 1 2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1 15 -ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 more minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in the same pan; add the tomato mixture and cook, stirring, until very thick, about 6 minutes. Return the mushroom mixture to the pan. Add 1 1/2 cups water, bring to a simmer and cook until the mushrooms are soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the spinach and chickpeas and cook 2 more minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, season with salt and top with cilantro. Serve with the rice.
Per serving: Calories 439; Fat 11 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 580 mg; Carbohydrate 75 g; Fiber 9 g; Protein 14 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.