Mussels With Potatoes and Red Pepper
- 1/4 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper (1/2 roughly chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced)
- 1 small tomato, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro, plus more for topping
- 2 cloves garlic
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound baby red-skinned potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Kosher salt
- 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Pulse the onion, chopped bell pepper, tomato, cilantro, garlic and red pepper flakes in a food processor until finely chopped.
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped vegetable mixture and the potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetable mixture looks dry, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the white wine and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the mussels and sliced bell pepper and stir. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the mussels open, 5 to 7 minutes. (Discard any mussels that don't open.) Stir in the lemon juice and sprinkle with cilantro. Divide among bowls.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.