Pasta with Pancetta and Lentils
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces bucatini or spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pancetta (about 2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14 -ounce can lentils, drained
- 1 28 -ounce can whole plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 8 basil leaves, roughly chopped, plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs; drain.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 7 minutes. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the garlic begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lentils, then add the tomatoes, 2 cups water, the basil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Increase the heat to medium high and bring the sauce to a boil; cook 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 650; Fat 20 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 30 mg; Sodium 1,099 mg; Carbohydrate 91 g; Fiber 14 g; Protein 26 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos