- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing and drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch-thick rounds
- 4 6 -to-8-inch pocketless pitas
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 pound part-skim mozzarella cheese, diced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
Core the tomatoes and halve them crosswise, then squeeze the juices and seeds into a large bowl. Whisk in 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the arugula but don't toss; set aside. Dice the tomatoes and toss in a separate bowl with the olives and rosemary.
Preheat a grill to medium high. Brush the onion rounds with olive oil and season with salt. Grill until soft, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and separate the rings. Reduce the grill heat to medium.
Brush both sides of the pitas with olive oil and grill until marked, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Top with some of the tomato-olive mixture, ricotta, mozzarella and onion. Cover and grill until the cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 564; Fat 35 g (Saturated 9 g); Cholesterol 31 mg; Sodium 798 mg; Carbohydrate 46 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 18 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.