Sausage and Clam Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 6 -ounce can (3/4 cup) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 bunch kale, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 28 -ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 14 -ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Crusty bread, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, turning, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the orange juice concentrate, kale and 3 cups water. Add the tomatoes and break them into chunks with a spoon. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes.
Add the beans and clams. Return to a boil over high heat, cover and cook until the clams open, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and serve with bread.
Photograph by Kana Okada
Thank you! your flag was submitted.