- Kosher salt
- 3 lemons (1 halved, 2 juiced)
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound sea scallops, halved or quartered if large
- 3/4 pound calamari, tubes thinly sliced, tentacles halved
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 inner stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus fronds for topping
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lemon halves and garlic, then submerge a large heatproof strainer in the water. Soak the red onion in ice water while you cook the seafood. Fill a large bowl with ice water; set aside.
Add the shrimp to the strainer in the boiling water and cook until pink, about 2 minutes; carefully remove the strainer and add the shrimp to the large bowl of ice water. Bring the water back to a boil, return the strainer to the pot, then add the scallops and simmer until cooked through, about 2 minutes; remove the strainer and add the scallops to the ice water. Repeat with the calamari, cooking until they just turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Repeat with the mussels, covering the pot; cook until the shells open, about 5 minutes. Drain the seafood from the ice water and remove the mussels from their shells; pat the seafood dry.
Drain the red onion and pat dry. Combine the seafood, red onion, celery, fennel, olives and parsley in a large bowl. Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil and toss; season with salt and pepper. Let stand 30 minutes before serving (or refrigerate up to 4 hours; bring to room temperature before serving). Top with fennel fronds.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.