- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs, trimmed (2 to 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 cups lightly salted pita chips, crushed
Preheat the broiler. Make the rub: Combine the sesame seeds, lemon zest, thyme, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a spice grinder; pulse until the seeds are slightly cracked. Season the chicken with salt and all but about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the rub. Set skin-side down on a broiler pan and broil, flipping the chicken and rotating the pan halfway through, until the chicken is golden and a meat thermometer registers 170 degrees F, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
Make the dressing: Mix 1 tablespoon of the reserved rub, the lemon juice, vinegar, and salt to taste in a bowl. Whisk in the olive oil.
When the chicken is done, whisk 1 tablespoon of the pan drippings into the dressing. Add the lettuce, cucumber, tomato and pita chips; season with salt and pepper and toss. Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon rub and serve with the salad.
Photograph by Justin Walker
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine