Shrimp and Chorizo Stew
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 ounces Spanish chorizo, casings removed, sliced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (hot or sweet)
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup canned whole plum tomatoes, roughly chopped, plus 1/2 cup juice from the can
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Heat the olive oil in a small Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Add the chorizo, paprika and 1 teaspoon salt and cook until the oil turns deep red, about 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes (reserve the juice), the bay leaves, thyme and oregano and cook 1 more minute.
Add the potatoes, 2 cups water, the tomato juice and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes. Add the kale and cook until the potatoes and kale are tender, about 10 more minutes. Stir in the shrimp and simmer just until they curl and turn pink, about 3 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Ladle the stew into bowls.
Per serving: Calories 576; Fat 27 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 246 mg; Sodium 1,652 mg; Carbohydrate 46 g; Fiber 6 g; Protein 38 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.