Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens
A homemade sauce with vinegar, tomato paste, garam masala and curry powder is the flavor base for our fragrant curry. Make sure you get[ every last bite by serving it over hot rice, letting the sauce soak in.]
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound red skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, skin removed (about 8 thighs)
- One 5-ounce package baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- Hot cooked jasmine rice, naan bread, chutney and/or Greek yogurt, for serving
- Copyright 2012 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Combine the vinegar, flour, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon each garam masala and curry powder, garlic, tomatoes with their juices, ginger, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender or food processor. Puree until well blended and only slightly chunky.
Spread the potatoes in the bottom of a 5 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining 1 teaspoon each garam masala and curry powder and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Lay the chicken over the potatoes in a single layer. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cook on high for 4 hours or 6 hours on low.
Uncover the slow cooker and stir in the baby spinach until wilted. Add the cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Serve over rice with an additional sprinkle of garam masala and cilantro for garnish, with bread on the side for scooping up the sauce, some chutney and Greek yogurt.
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller