- 1 4 -to-5-pound flat-cut beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice, tied in cheesecloth with twine
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 6 carrots, quartered crosswise
- 4 stalks celery, quartered crosswise
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 12 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- Chopped fresh parsley, to taste
Sprinkle the brisket with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cut crosswise into 3 pieces. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the brisket in batches and brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker.
Add the tomato paste to the skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Whisk in the wine, vinegar and pickling spice sachet and simmer 4 minutes. Add to the slow cooker along with the beef broth, carrots, celery, leeks and half of the gingersnaps. Cover and cook on low, 8 hours.
Remove the meat, vegetables and spice sachet. Whisk the remaining gingersnaps into the cooking liquid and add salt, pepper and parsley to taste. Set aside 1 piece of brisket, 1 cup vegetables and 2 cups gravy to make Corn, Squash and Beef Casserole. Slice the remaining meat and serve with the vegetables and gravy.
Per serving: Calories 628; Fat 19 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 139 mg; Sodium 795 mg; Carbohydrate 25 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 76 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.