Spaghetti with Red Clam Sauce
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 20 min
- 30 min
- 4 to 6 servings
- Three 6 1/2-ounce cans minced or whole clams
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more to taste
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes packed in juice, drained, and chopped
- 1 pound dry spaghetti or linguini
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Drain the clams reserving 1/2 cup of their juice and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until softened, but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add the pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the reserved clam juice and tomatoes, increase the heat and bring to a boil. Cover, and lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cook for 15 minutes. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat, salt generously. Cook the pasta until al dente, tender yet still slightly firm. During the last 5 minutes of cooking the pasta stir the clams, basil, and parsley into the sauce. Bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce and toss to combine evenly. Divide among warmed bowls and serve.
From Food Network Kitchens