Spanish Turkey Meatball Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup sliced small carrots
- 2 14 -ounce cans low-sodium diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 -ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley (about 1 bunch), chopped, plus more for topping
- Freshly ground pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer half of the mixture to a large bowl.
Add the paprika and carrots to the remaining onion mixture in the skillet and cook 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and chickpeas; bring to a rapid simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the ground turkey, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the bowl with the reserved onion mixture and mix with your hands. Form the turkey mixture into 20 meatballs. Place the meatballs in the skillet with the sauce and simmer, turning once, until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Serve with more pepper and parsley.
Per serving: Calories 458; Fat 18 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 81 mg; Sodium 1,234 mg; Carbohydrate 36 g; Fiber 8 g; Protein 38 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.