Steak with Avocado Sauce and Tomato Salad
- 1 1/4 pounds beef eye round roast (in 1 piece)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Mexican-style chili powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 7 to 8 canned hearts of palm, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 large clove garlic
- Flour tortillas, warmed, for serving (optional)
Slice the roast crosswise into 3 even steaks. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Brush the steaks all over with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with the chili powder and add salt to taste. Cook until a thermometer inserted into the side registers 125 degrees for medium-rare, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss the tomatoes and hearts of palm in a bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
Halve and pit the avocado; scoop the flesh into a blender or food processor. Add the cilantro, garlic, the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1/2 cup water; puree. Season with salt.
Thinly slice the steaks. Serve with the avocado sauce, tomato salad and tortillas for wrapping, if desired. Garnish with lime wedges.
Photography by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine