Strawberry Shortcake Sundaes
- For the biscuits:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- For the strawberries:
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/3 cup honey
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Make the biscuits: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub the mixture together with your fingertips until it looks like coarse meal with pea-size bits of butter. Stir in the buttermilk with a wooden spoon to form a rough dough. Scoop 6 mounds of dough onto a baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheet.
Meanwhile, prepare the strawberries: Combine the strawberries and honey in a saucepan over medium heat; partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries are just softened, 10 to 15 minutes.
Photograph by Anna Williams
Thank you! your flag was submitted.